A brief history of the Lodge.
1923-Onward (Abbreviated from a history written by WB Mike Allen in 1998).
The Consecration of Petersham Lodge No. 4514 was held at the New Star and Garter Hotel, Petersham Rd, Richmond on Wednesday 18th April 1923. Representations of this building, which still stands on Richmond Hill, known today as the Petersham Hotel, form the centrepiece of the Past Master’s Jewel and the lodge motif.
After its first four meetings the lodge moved to a new venue, The Masonic hall, The Greyhound Hotel, High Street, Richmond in November 1923. The lodge continued to meet here until April 1955.
Those thirty two years were eventful, seeing a steady growth in the membership of the lodge, to such an extent that the number of visitors and even the number of initiates had to be limited!
During the years of the Depression the lodge was a focus for benevolence and charity, among the brethren and the local community.
In 1927, for example, the lodge contributed generously to the Richmond Mayor’s Relief Fund to provide relief to those afflicted by the floods of that year.
That period also saw Petersham become a Hall Stone Lodge, the Hall Stone Jewel being presented to the WM at the January 1934 meeting.
The Second World War brought its own difficulties to the Lodge, with many members serving in the forces.
It is of note that there was only one year, 1940, when the lodge failed to hold its five regular meetings.
In 1955 the Greyhound Hotel underwent a major refurbishment, as a result of which it was unable to continue to offer the same level of facilities.
A small committee was established to look at alternatives and in October 1955 the lodge transferred to its new location at the Star and Garter Hotel in Kew.
In 1959 a proposition to form a Lodge of Instruction was unanimously approved and its first meeting was held on 16th March 1960, at the Railway Inn, Isleworth.
In 1977 a serious fire all but destroyed the Star and Garter, as a consequence of which the March and April meetings were held at The Red Lion Hotel, Hounslow.
On 12th March 1983, after much research, discussion and debate the lodge voted to transfer to the Masonic Centre at Guildford.
After 60 years as a London Lodge we then became a lodge in the Province of Surrey.
The first meeting held in Guildford was on January 14th 1984. Twenty years later a new custom built Masonic centre was completed in Guildford.